Yes, it's that time of year again when we look at ourselves in the mirror, pull on our tight pants, and quietly admit to ourselves that our diet went astray in the offseason. How do you get back to where you feel good again about yourself? I firmly believe that as much as we need to manage WHAT we eat, it's much more important to manage HOW we eat.
Here are 10 steps to take that will put you on the right course:
- 1) Step on the scales now - face the facts honestly today.
- 2) Figure out a realistic goal for the next 30 days - even on a highly restrictive diet, it's tough to safely lose more than 3-4 pounds.
- 3) Spend more time with skinny friends - good habits will rub off.
- 4) Throw out or hide any plate in the house that is bigger than 10 inches - use paper plates if you have to. We all tend to fill our plates until they look full, regardless of our actual hunger.
- 5) Put yourself on a regular daily schedule - get control of when you wake up, when you eat, when you work, when you train, and when you sleep.
- 6) Exercise in some way every day - keep your metabolism as high as you possibly can.
- 7) Don't eat while the television is on - mindless calories count a lot more than we think.
- 8) Step on the scale every morning - connect behavior with results.
- 9) Keep a food log - write down or even take pictures with your phone of every meal you eat.
- 10) Draw a picture of the new you on a piece of paper - create a vivid image of how you will look and what you will do when hit your weight target.
Author: Paul Tyler
Paul Tyler is the founder of Triessential.com and a contributor here at TRIJUICE. Triessential offers an iPhone application that provides training tips and motivation every day throughout the entire year.
- The Feed Zone Cookbook for Endurance Athletes
- Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight Quick Start Guide